Sunday, June 9, 2024

QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2016 blurry on my old monitor after adding new 4k monitor


I got some new 4k monitors, they're great but QB doesn't scale well on them which is understandable and I don't care. BUT, it should look the same on my old monitor (1920x1200) in my multi-monitor setup. However, it seems that just HAVING a 4k monitor (maybe as a main display) hooked up to my system messes up the way QBD looks on the old monitor where it was working fine for years. It took some Googling but I came across this (actually helpful) Microsoft article

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-would-make-the-text-blurry-on-some-of-my/463bd024-bc73-4bfc-be62-11891ae9721c

The gist of it is, do this:

1. Find the QBD executable. On my system it's 

    C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2016\QBW32.exe

2. Right-click on it and choose Properties

3. Click on the Compatibility tab

4. Click the Change high DPI settings button

5. Check the Override high DPI scaling behavior checkbox and choose Scaling performed by: 

  • System - Looks like it did before on my old monitor. On the 4k, scaling is still weird (everything is small, but that makes sense because it's a high resolution)
  • System (Enhanced) - Looks like it did before on my old monitor and scaled much better on the 4k monitor but is blurry.
  • Application - It scaled and made everything HUGE on the old monitor and tiny on the 4k monitors. I do not recommend this setting.






Restart QBD to see the changes. No need to reboot.


No comments: